Driving for Lyft Car Requirements – Lyft is a ridesharing company that makes a lot of things easier for both drivers and riders. For riders, the service allows them to get an affordable ride anytime, anywhere. For drivers, it provides them with a flexible job with a solid income.
As with many other jobs, there are requirements that have to be fulfilled if you want to be a driver. Here, we will tell you driving for Lyft car requirements that will help you prepare and get through the process. Ready? Let’s get started.
Driving for Lyft Car Requirements
Lyft wants to make sure that riders are safe not just for riders but also drivers as well. That is why there are requirements that must be fulfilled.
If you want to be a Lyft driver, your vehicle should be at a good working order and condition (all equipment should work properly, especially its exterior lights and safety features), it should have 4 doors and 5 seatbelts at minimum, and has no major cosmetic damage.
You might wonder what kind of major cosmetic damage here means. To put it simply, major cosmetic damage means noticeable damage. Minor damages like small dings or scratches aren’t likely to be a problem especially if a direct inspection is not a requirement in the state where you live in
General Car Requirements
In states where a direct inspection is not a requirement, you are required to send pictures of the vehicle from all sides to Lyft for inspection. As minor damages aren’t likely to be noticeable, the vehicle should pass the inspection.
A vehicle with damages like a hanging bumper or a large dent, however, wouldn’t be approved. Remember, the vehicle condition is very important and should never be overlooked, especially if it is used for prolonged use.
In short, the vehicle that is going to be used by a Lyft driver should:
- Have at least 4 doors (no jump doors allowed) and 5 seat belts.
- Should not have any body damage.
- Has safety features such as headlights, reverse lights, brake lights, turn signals, seatbelts, horn and so on that work properly.
If your vehicle has proper regular maintenance, it should pass Lyft vehicle inspection without a problem.
Additional Car Requirements
As you might have known, regular Lyft rides are not the only ridesharing services that the company offers. There are also Lyft Line, Lyft Plus, Lyft Premier, and Lyft Lux as well.
For the Lyfe Premier, the requirements include:
- A high-end vehicle with at least four seats
- The vehicle should be a 2009, 2010 or 2015 model or newer, depending on the series and brand. For example, a 2009 Alfa Romeo Giulia is qualified, so are a 2015 Acura ILX and a 2010 BMW X1.
For the Lyfe Lux, the requirements include:
- A high-end vehicle in excellent condition with a black exterior and either leather or leather-like seating.
- The vehicle should be either a 2011, 2016 model or newer, depending on the series and brand. For example, a 2011 Chevrolet Suburban is qualified while a Lincoln Continental must be a 2016 model or newer.
- For the Lux SUV, the vehicle should be able to seat six or more riders comfortable, in addition to meeting all the other requirements.
Driving For Lyft State Requirements
Besides the general and additional driving for Lyft car requirements, there are also state requirements as well. What you need to keep in mind is that each state has different vehicle requirements. And if you want to apply to be a Lyft driver, you must fulfill the vehicle requirements of the state where you live in.